Friday, June 12, 2009

A little slice of Philadelpia

Today my exploring led me to Eastern State Penitentiary. This prison was open from 1829 til 1971. Now they have tours and the public can explore it for a fee.
So I walked around the prison and took lots of pictures, some of which will be posted in the future. Then I walked around the general area on the outside and got more pictures of really neat old houses and churches. I also saw this section of the Philadelphia cityscape. Today was fun but hotter than I expected. It was 92F that's over 33C and very humid. Weather channel.com said it was only supposed to get to 82F, I'm glad it didn't rain though. Tomorrow Vicki and I may or may not go to the Philadelpia Museum of art.
So what are you doing this weekend?

11 comments:

Lowell said...

I'd be interested in seeing more of the prison pictures...sorry about the heat...I think we only got to 91 today...

Ice said...

Hope to see some of the photos of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Any particular type of art? Contemporary or conventional?

I usually do groceries on Saturdays or Sundays. Weekends are boring for me. I made a loaf of soap today. Usually I would like to sit back and enjoy a movie at home in the evening :o)

VP said...

I admit I am a bit curious about your prison pics...

Lois said...

Nice city shots! Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities. It's been hot here too and it's always humid and stepping outside is like stepping into a sauna. I too am curious about the prison pictures.

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos of the city. I have only been there once and that was many years ago. It was an enjoyable experience.

PeterParis said...

Thanks for the degrees in Celsius - even if they were too many! (Will the Americans ever forget the F-degrees?)

San said...

Beautiful photographs, as always.

What am I doing this weekend? Working. But getting ready to go to Chicago for a city fix, then on to a cottage at Lake Michigan, for a water fix. We all need a change of scene sometimes, no?

Owen said...

Hi James, Thanks so much for your comments on the storm photos today, really appreciate...

I'm from near Philadelphia originally, before I moved to France... still have a soft spot for the area, as well as family there...

Cezar and Léia said...

Philly must be a very interesting city, for all of its beauty and history!
Beautiful pics!
God bless you!
Cezar

Martha said...

Too funny that we both are posting Philly pics this weekend. I want to get back without my daughter so I can just go at my pace and take pics. Driving around on the shuttle yesterday I saw so many sculptures, monuments, etc that I had never noticed. We were told an interesting fact about the prison on our carriage ride yesterday - according to the guide the Eastern PA Penitentiary had indoor plumbing before the White House! This is another place I have not visited.... so much to see just 25 miles from home... but it sounds a little creepy to me!

crocrodyl said...

Very impressive photos. Stunning city!