Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Beauty and Higher Learning

Yesterday I mentioned that I visited Princeton University. I've heard about the beauty and history of Ivy League schools, but this was the first time that I was able to see one for myself.
I was very impressed by all of the wonderful old buildings and the well kept grounds. I want to return and see much more, including a museum. I'm glad that Princeton is only a half-hour drive from my house.
Princeton was founded in 1746 and has been at this site since 1756. It amazes me to think that the school I was walking around is older than the United States of America. The list of famous alumni and professors is very impressive but not surprising considering the school's long history of academic and sporting achievements.
Stay tuned for more pictures.

15 comments:

srp said...

You should also visit William and Mary... established in 1693. It has a colonial feel and you walk across a street into historical Williamsburg.

Another gothic inspired campus is at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee. It is built on a mountain top and is way out in the boonies but the buildings are beautiful...

kayerj said...

it is beautiful . . . I've always wanted to see it, and thanks to you I have. :)

crocrodyl said...

Really great! I like especially the castle in the last photo!

penny said...

I was born in NJ and Princeton is a beautiful old town I have enjoyed visiting many times. Princeton University is not only one of the best university's in the country, it is also one of the most beautiful... In my humble opinion :D
James your photos are wonderful, nice captures!

Lois said...

It's beautiful! The building in the second picture looks similar to the Westcott administration building here at FSU only the bricks are red.

Anonymous said...

So nice. I love the first picture...the people add such a great emphasis on education :)

VP said...

These buildings are solemn and beautiful, please post more photos of this mythical place!

Unknown said...

So pretty! I can't believe that it is only a half hour from your house. Very cool! That means it wouldn't be too far from me. I should take the kids this summer : ) Inspire them!

Denise said...

Now I know what Princeton looks like, thanks to your wonderful photos. Thanks James!

Kcalpesh said...

These are some wonderful structures nice shot! Awaiting the upcoming pictures in this series! :-)

B SQUARED said...

I agree with you. With all the time I spent in that area, I've never been there. Will have to rectify that soon.

Ebie said...

Beautiful photos and I love its architecture.
This is my main BLOG.

Lowell said...

Thanks for these, James. We lived close by years ago but never visited. I've know a number of people who graduated from Princeton.

It's truly a beautiful campus. These shots would give the impression of a school in England...

Nice job!

Sally in WA said...

Cool architecture here. I look forward to more pics you post from your next visit.

Ice said...

Is Princeton one of the high tuition fee college/university in the US?