Saturday, June 13, 2009

Philadelphia Museum of Art part 1


We made it to the museum just as a big thunder storm was leaving so the sky was beautiful.
This is where Sylvester Stallone made his triumphant run up the steps in Rocky.
We've been spoiled. We've been to the Louvre, Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, Dallas Museum of Art, Kimbell in Fort Worth and Blanton Museum in Austin recently . The Philadelphia museum's exterior is awesome and it has incredible views. It's surrounded by grassy areas, trees, statues, fountains and even a river with old water works buildings that I plan to explore when I go back.
The museum has a wide range of collections including the usual European artists, Asian, American, modern art etc. We partiularly enjoyed an exhibit of photographs and drawings of buildings and cityscapes of New York and Philadelphia from the early 1900's to about the 1930's. Then we took a shuttle bus to the other building (the Perelman building) down the street. There we saw art from Picassos,Matisse,Degas and others, also a small exhibit of dresses from 1850 to 1925 and a photography exhibit that I didn't really care for.
It started raining again when we were almost home and it was still raining cats and dogs while we were eating pizza and watching the Maltise Falcon.
Today was a really great day!

Here are some pictures of the outside of the museum. To see part 2 please click here.

I plan on posting some of the prison pictures on monday.

10 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

wow James!
Very interesting information!
This place is fantastic and I loved all pictures!Glad to know that you have a wonderful day there!
God bless you
Léia

Martha said...

Beautiful. I have NEVER been to the art museum, and yesterday was the closest I ever got riding the "Phlash" bus. I so want to go back sometime soon! I promised the morning news team in Orlando I would "run" up the "Rocky Steps" for them!

Lowell said...

Well, James, these photos are super good! I lived in West Chester for awhile in the 70s and worked in Germantown but never got to the museum...boy, do I feel like a jerk. I missed a great thing, didn't I?

Have a great Sunday!

magiceye said...

looks lovely!

Have started a new meme Pet Pride where you can display your or your friends' pets every week beginning every Sunday! Do join in and share your pet pride with the world!

VP said...

Great images, I liked the steps and the statue of Rocky: it is probably the best known piece of Philly in the world.

storyteller said...

Marvelous photo series making ME want to take MY camera to some local sites to share as well. Love the perspectives and the architecture ... beautifully shared! My Sky watch is at Sacred Ruminations this week.
Hugs and blessings,

Lois said...

I have always loved the columns on this building! Beautiful!

Unseen India Tours said...

Wow this is so beautiful and fantastic.. I Really enjoyed the Photos !! The building is very big and old..Great one..Hey i am back on your Blog !! I have got a surprise for you on my Blog.Do visit and remember to collect it.Also I Have Started My Own Website And Would Like You To Have A Look At It.I Would Love To Have Your Comments On That Also.Unseen Rajasthan

crocrodyl said...

Beautiful building. I like its 'European' style!:)
Very fine photo-reportage! Thanks for sharing!

chrome3d said...

Thanks for showing around this great place. Excellent in every way and you are so spoiled!